Yoga is an ancient eastern practice that has grown increasingly popular here in the west-and for good reason. There is an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence that speaks to the many health benefits of yoga. The ultimate goal is to connect the mind and the body. When these two elements are out of sync, this creates a breeding ground for illness. The incorporation of yoga into one’s everyday life has great potential to reverse toxicity in the body and to heal us both mentally and physically. Following is a list of benefits than one can expect to reap from the regular practice of yoga:
- Yoga helps you stay connected to yourself. In the fast pace of everyday life in Western culture, it is very easy to put our personal needs on the back burner-yoga helps us to pay more attention to what our body is telling us and brings about a greater sense of self-awareness.
- Improves flexibility which can help to prevent injuries.
- Improves sleep-even a simple 10 minute practice before bed can lead to a more restful sleep.
- In the same way, morning yoga practice allows us to gently wake up the muscles and digestive system, and to check in with ourselves before diving into our busy day.
- Yoga relieves muscle tension caused by stress.
- Helps to fight against ailments associated with chronic overexertion such as inflammation, migraines and fatigue.
- Yoga is a low-impact approach to weight loss.
- Yoga classes serve as a great way to meet like-minded people in a positive environment.
- Yoga is approachable-with so many different styles of yoga, there is a level and fit for people of all ages and abilities.
- Helps to infuse our lives with a healthy dose of discipline-making our health a priority yields benefits into other aspects of our lives both personally and professionally.
- Travel-yoga retreats are held all around the world and are a great way to deepen your understanding of yoga and reset your system-all while experiencing a new place.
- Yoga helps us develop a deeper sense of gratitude-when we take the time to slow down, it becomes easier for us to appreciate the simple things that make life worth living.
- A commitment to yoga typically results in more conscious food choices-we become more inclined to nourish ourselves physically and mentally.
- Yoga puts a huge focus on breathing-controlled breathing can ground us in the chaos of life.
- A regular practice often makes people look more youthful. This can be attributed to the improved circulation that the stretches ignite.
I encourage everyone to give yoga a try-whether you join a studio, take a free class on the beach, try hot yoga, or simply indulge in some meditative stretches in the comfort of your home first thing in the morning-you are guaranteed to feel more enlightened.
The information provided is for general interest only and should not be misconstrued as a diagnosis, prognosis or treatment recommendation. This information does not in any way constitute the practice of medicine, or any other health care profession. Readers are directed to consult their health care provider regarding their specific health situation. Marque Medical is not liable for any action taken by a reader based upon this information.