COVID-19 Diagnostic Testing Information
There are two types of tests available for COVID-19 screening: antibody and diagnostic.
Diagnostic Tests: Check samples from your respiratory system (such as swabs of the inside of the nose or mouth) to tell if you currently have an active COVID-19 infection (SARS-CoV2).
Molecular (RT-PCR/NAAT) Diagnostic Testing at Marque
Molecular (RT-PCR) tests detect genetic material of the virus. It’s the Gold Standard of testing and the most accurate. Approved for most travel and surgery-clearance.
Antigen Testing at Marque
Detects proteins that are part of the virus. They are less accurate than Molecular tests, but process faster.
How the Sample is Taken
Molecular: Mid-nasal swab (no brain-tickling here)
Antigen: Mid-nasal swab (no brain-tickling here)
How Long It Takes to Get Results
1. Lab-Sent (LabCorp, Quest or WestPacific): 1-7 days, based on lab volume
2. On-Site Rapid Molecular*: 30-minute processing time and 1-4 hours reporting of results
*FDA Authorized under EUA, Accula SARS-Cov 2 Test, Mesa Biotech Inc., San Diego
3. 24-hour Lab-Sent: 12-24 hours results guaranteed
1. On-Site Rapid Antigen*: 15-minute processing time and 1-4 hours reporting of results
*FDA Authorized under EUA, BD Veritor Plus, Franklin Lakes, NJ
Accuracy of Tests
Molecular: This test is highly accurate and usually does not need to be repeated
Antigen: Positive results are usually highly accurate, but negative results are around 80% accurate and may need to be confirmed with a molecular test.
What It Can’t Do
Molecular: Show if you ever had COVID-19 or were infect with COVID-19 in the past
Antigen: Definitively rule out active COVID-19 infection. Antigen tests are more likely to miss an active infection compared to molecular tests.
Cost of Tests
1. Lab-Sent (LabCorp, Quest or WestPacific): Covered by insurance
2. On-Site Rapid Molecular: $250, not submitted to insurance
3. 24-hour Lab-Sent: $180, not submitted to insurance
1. On-Site Rapid Antigen: $180, not submitted to insurance